Tuesday 10 May 2022

Warhammer Fest 2022


 

So it's that time of year again and we are given some juicy nuggets from GW. This year there was a lot of hype for the new stuff, namely the Horus  Heresy and Squats (Leagues of Votann) but there was also some possibilities of some Juicy Kill Team and Guard stuff as well.

The 40k announcements however did not really throw up any surprises, yes, there was the Squad hover bike but we knew there would be squat stuff, just not what it would be. In general we got a lot of chaos stuff, much of which we have had rumours about for a while. It was all very nice looking things and if I collected chaos I could be very excited about it. The squat bike is also very cool but it's a shame we didn't see more units to get more of a feel for the overall army.


I do like this bike, its got a good mix of Imperial, AdMech and advanced tech. I'm still not sold on the new squads though. We also got a new Chapter Approved and the announcement that the points updates are going to be free and not included within the new book. This is a good step forward if you ask me.  


Next up we had a day of Age of Sigmar and I paid no attention to this at all, so I've got nothing to say here!

The following day we moved in to the skirmish games and to start with we have the new Kill Team box. This is another good looking box set, although not one I will be looking to get. The two teams, traitor guard and marines are not teams that particularly interest me. I have plenty of guard teams and I could probably run this team as a loyalist version easily enough and the same can be said for the marines. The terrain is the new terrain and while it is rather nice but I don't need any more terrain and while its good, its not that good. 



I expect that we will get a bespoke Necron team soon, due to the fact that we got the War Zone Nephilm book a few days before. I expect that this will come in the form of a White Dwarf article and i will be looking to pick this up when it is released. 

Next up we have the new Necromunda releases and the Squat Prospectors. Now, these are proper squats and I really like these, far more than the new Leagues of Votann. I have no plans to get in to any versions of Necromunda but if I did, this would be one of my top picks. If I had the time and/or money, i would get a box of these just to own some, that's how much I like them but seeing as how I have a large pile of unbuilt and painted miniatures already, I cant really justify getting any of these just to keep on a shelf.


Finally we have the Horus Heresy. 5 years ago I would have jumped at grabbing a box set, with all the models and vehicles in there are great for boosting my old school marine armies. Now however, I have no plans on getting any more classic marines any time soon. I may dig out my old marines for the Heresy if other in my group take it up. I'll not repaint them so my opponents will have to deal with black Dark Angels and orange Blood Angels, not that I think anyone will mind.


I do like the new boxset, its packed full of goodies and the new boxsets to accompany the release are also good, with new MkIII, MkIV and MkVI packs, all containing 20 marines apiece. In addition there is also the weapon packs, with all manner of special and heavy weapons. These are really good pack and, again, 5 years ago I could well have picked up a number of these boxes.


In addition to this there are an updated Rhino and the new Kratos heavy tank, which is like a min Fellblade and does look quite good. Again, a few years ago I would probably have looked at picking one of these up but now, with my shift to purely Primaris marines, I'll be passing this one by.


All in all there were some really nice reveals from Warhammer Fest this year, however, none of them really interest me enough to make we want to actually spend money on them. I was hoping for some thing guard related, even an early teaser of some of the rumored new models but we got nothing. With everything we did get I am still thinking that we are going to have to wait until a lot later this year before we get our new codex, Personally I am still thinking September or October this year at the earliest. If this is true, then we could have another Marine codex and supplements released before we get our first 9th edition codex! I really hope that we don't have to wait that long but we shall see.




No comments:

Post a Comment