Friday 21 October 2022

Guard units part 1

So here is the first of what could be many Imperial guard unit previews and today we've got a scout sentinel and the infantry squad and command squad. 
First up is the new scout sentinel. Much like the current kit the new one is a dual kit, with both the armoured and scout sentinel models. There looks to be pretty much the same options for weapons and accessories, however, it appears that the accessories will now have more function that looks. The chain sword is apparently going to be a lot more useful and the search light and smoke launchers will also grant benefits, however, it appears that you can only have one option at a time. So far I believe we have seen the autocannon, lascannon, missile launcher and flamer options, but not the multilayer, however I suspect that will still be the base option. 


As for the model itself, well, it's pretty much just an updated version of the old model, a bit bigger and chunkier but still recognisable as the sentinel. The only odd bit is the weird thing that sticks out the back. I guess it's supposed to be some.sort of stability device, but it just looks a bit weird. I do like this model, but I currently have three sentinels and don't need any more and this model doesn't offer enough different things to persuade me to buy any of them.

The new infantry squads, are like the sentinel, an update of the classic models and not some reimagining. These are some great looking sculpts, with all the hall marks of long suffering troopers. There are some hints to the new rules here as well, with the two special weapons in the squads and a Sgt with some sort of rifle, possibly an autogun. 


The sculpts are really dynamic as well and they appear to be multipart kits, which is great. 


Again though, these kits don't offer anything new for me and seeing as most of my infantry are Catachan, I don't have need for Cadian infantry. Hopefully we'll get some new Catachan infantry at some point. 

Lastly we have the command squad and again these guys look great and are very nice updates. I really like the new standard bearer and the new vox caster, or possibly master vox caster? I am also intrigued by the Sgt with the power fist. Now, you cannot take a guardsman with a power fist in a command squad but you can here. Does this mean you can now take a more combat weapons rather than just a laspistol and chain sword? I guess from the fact that it's only 5 models your not going to get options for bodyguard units like.you use to.


 I'm also looking forward to fielding full command squads again, although I will have to have a look through my armies to see what commanders will need some support. I have the same issue with this unit as all the others, I just don't need any more command squads and certainly not any Cadian command squads. 

So far all the new units have looked great and really feel like sympathetic updates to the old units. I really like all the units so far and however none of these units are units I need or require and none offer enough to make me want to buy them and add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment