Tuesday 18 October 2022

Cadian boxset

 So last week we got a whole raft of Guard previews and over the next few weeks it sounds like we will be getting several more. I will cover all the previews but it may take me a while to get around to everything. First up we have the Cadian boxset. This appears to be the standard practice for GW these days, a big release box with some shiny new models and codex then a gap of several weeks until we get the proper release and standard codex. Straight off the bat I won't be getting this set, mostly as there is only 1 unit that I actually have any interest in. 


The box set looks like quite good value, with two of the new infantry squads, the new command squad, the new sentinel and the new Field Ordinance Battery. It's this last unit that I'm interested in, partly as a replacement to my Wyverns in my Hjaltland LI, as this will remove all the vehicles from this list, although I might need to make a few modifications to the models to make it look fully foot mobile.


There have been a few other bits noted on from the box art, namely the silhouette of the tank, which matches other bits and pieces around and about and is most likely the new heavy tank. 
So what do I think about the new guard so far? Mostly positive. I do like the new guard sculpts, there hasn't been any I haven't liked from this release so far. The new sculpts keep true to the old ones, and look like they will blend into existing armies without much bother. Yet, they have been updated, with new details and getting rid of some of the more silly elements of the old models. The new scout sentinel has a couple of bits that look a little silly but I'll cover that in another post. 
The only bit that I'm not so keen on is that the command squad are now, apparently, on 28.5mm bases. This is a bit annoying as all my models are on 25mm bases and I'm not keen on rebasing my models but I'll wait and see what happens.
The only unit that I'm interested in is the new Field Ordinance Battery and it's three options. Now, I'll go in to details on the new unit in another post but I'm keen to get some more information on these guys.
Overall how do I feel about this box set? I'm not going to be getting it but I am looking forward getting a look at the new codex and figuring out how it's going to affect my armies.

No comments:

Post a Comment