Tuesday 23 March 2021

Fluff updates and changes

 Right, there have been quite a few picture heavy posts recently and there are some more to come, this however is going to be very wordy, so put the kettle on, this one's going to take the long and winding road to nowhere.

Fluff is a major part of my enjoyment within the game of 40k. All my armies have their own lore, with home world's and noteworthy events. They all have named characters too, from the lowly guard commanders right up to the Space Marine Chapter masters and various characters in-between. The thing is that all this fluff has developed slowly over a period of time, many many years, from when I got back in to gaming, before I even started this blog. 

Granted, the fluff has changed in that time. My main army, my Imperial Guard Hjaltland Light Infantry Regiment were once called the Segedunum Legionnaires, after a Roman fort near to where we use to live, then changed to the current Hjaltland Light Infantry, with a period of namelessness in the middle. Characters have changed, either in name or disappeared entirely without reason. My Inquisitors have been through this, changing not only in name but also in gender. 

So what is the point of this post? Well, primaries marines. Now, it's not a other rant against the abomination that is the primaries lore or the model range, which is actually quite good. No, this is more of a pondering questioning of my own lore, the problems and issues that it has created and how I might go about solving them.

The main issue surrounding my lore is the time setting. As I said, i started all this a while back and firmed up the timeline when I put the information down on these pages. This was back in 2014, some six and a half years ago, some two and a half years before primaris marines we officially announced by GW. My timeline originally put the occurrences of the Hamnavoe system towards the middle of the Sabbat World's Crusade, sometime around 760-770.M41, with the trouble being caused by refugees escaping the violence and bloodshed of the crusade but bringing with them the taint of chaos. This did lead to a few problems with the setting but they were easily dealt with by making the timings more vague and moving the general timeline to the end of the crusade. Well I say end, there doesn't seem to be an exact end, some sources seem to put the end at 780 or 790, some just leave it as on going but as of the latter dates the imperium is pretty much cleaning up and is in control of vast swaths of the sector. Either way, it is highly unlikely that it will have lasted until 999.M41 and the beginning of the Indomitus crusade. There will no doubt be some trouble with the Great rift now splitting the galaxy in two, however, the system of Hamnavoe is on the very westward edge of the galaxy, far away from the Great rift and well within the Imperium Sanctus.

All this doesn't really help with the main question though, how to deal with the Primaris marines. I have moved my armies from first born to Primaris and so I do need to fix this problem but I really don't want to rewrite all the lore. I really don't want to come up with some funky plot twists to reason why my Inquisitors from around 780 are still alive and kicking in 999 and beyond. Yes, I know that rejuvenation treatments are a thing and people can live to over 200, and so it technically is possible, I'm just not sure about using that twist. Besides, from 790, towards the end of the Sabbat crusade, to 999 is 209 years, meaning that my inquisitor would have to be at least 230, although more realistically 250 years old. This is really the very upper limit of what is plausible, even in the 41st millennium, but it is technically possible. However, my Primaris marines wouldn't be in the Hamnavoe system around 999.m40 but more likely 200.m41 or even later, as, especially for the Eagle Knights, these are all first born who have crossed the Rubicon. If this happened sometime during the second century M41, then it would not be until early in the third century that they might be in the region of the Hamnavoe system at the request of an inquisitor who is now nearly 500 years old! 

In many respect I will have to come up with some sort of plot device to transfer the Inquisitors across from one era to the next but i suppose that in reality the marines are probably going to be easier. 

I guess I will effectively be playing two time zones, when (and if I ever do) play with first born again I will right as part of the first uprising, which I will write in to the system history as having been dealt with around 790 to 800.m40 and the Primaris marines will form part of the second uprising, sometime around 250.m41.  The second uprising will take the form of a continuation the first, not having been quite as quashed as it was thought. The inquisition will request the help of those who fought first time around plus some others and the fighting will be renewed. However, this then leads to issues with the guard, as these are all formed around the remnants of forces that fought in the first uprising, so would be long dead by the time the second uprising occurred. The forces would also have been rebuilt in the 300 plus years in-between the two events, which doesn't compute with what I have built. 

So, ultimately I think a rewrite will be in order, but not a complete one, the forces will be molded into new formations from old ones but will remain the same though plot devices and things that could only make sense in the 41st millennium. I will really have to think hard on how to do it but I think I can achieve it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment