Friday 26 June 2020

More new primaris units



So, with the release of the contents of the 9th edition box set, we got confirmation on some of the units we already knew about and some additional units as well. Now, I know that this is a week or so old now but with all the information we're getting at the moment, I'm struggling to keep up with it all. It's not so much that there to much information to keep to my regular 2 posts a week but more that I'm just not having the time to write everything. I normally like to keep a post or two ahead but at the moment I'm writing each one right up to the wire. Anyway, moan over, on to the new units.

First up are two  "new" units, the firestrite servo turret and the Invader ATV. 



The new thunder fire cannon, maybe? Or maybe not. It's obviously supposed to fill the heavy support role that the thunder fire cannon does but seems to be a more direct fire model, with (I believe) lascannons or autocannons. As a model, I'm not sure about this one. It sounds like a good idea but I've got a few questions the main one being, can it move? It doesn't look like it can move but then it could be pretty useless in the game if it doesn't. I won't be getting any of these anytime soon, as besides not being to keen on the model itself, it doesn't actually fit any of my army designs.  


Next up up is the Invader ATV. There are various thoughts going around about this and what it's supposed to be replacing. Many are going with the landspeeder but I'm more with the attack bikes, which makes far more sense to me. The load out for the vehicle is basically the same as the attack bikes and will tie in nicely with the new bike units both visually and rules wise. I'm torn on the actual model, I want to like it but just can't. The design just doesn't do it for me as a marine unit. For guard or GSC, maybe even AdMech but not for marine, especially not with all the anti-grav going around for the primaris. That being said, I will probably get one or two of these in the future to go with the bikes I plan on getting for my Dark Angels successors. That plan is for the far future, when we know the rules and points for 9th and I've finished off my guard armies!


This unit, the Eradicators, have featured before but I was hoping that they were the new devastator units. As it turns out, they are melta Gunner but with super meltas (because primaris). I'm guessing that this means assault multimeltas or similar. The extra armour makes sense, if your going to get up close and personal then you need extra protection. These start filling up the special weapons roles, with melta and plasma now sorted. Whether we get normal guys with flamers or if we see any grav armed primaris is a question many of us want answered (maybe, or it could be just me).


 

Lastly we have this bad boy, the captain. This is a glorious model, just look at all the detail! I am really liking the new captain and lieutenant models, they are just full of character and detail. I haven't seen this guy as a dark angel angel yet but I think he'd be perfect! I don't think that I will get this model, purely because I don't plan on getting the box set but I would certainly love to own one if I did. 

So there's the rest of the new models that we know of so far. I suspect that there will be more just after release but for now this will have to do and overall, I'm very impressed with the models, despite some obvious flaws (like bikes that can't go over a speed bump!). I'm still hoping for a guard update soon after 9th drops and if the detail on the marine models is anything to go by, new guard ones should rock!

1 comment:

  1. I rather like the gun turret, brings to mind the 'twin bofors' out of starship troopers gunning down the (not) Nids as they tried to scale the walls.

    ReplyDelete