Tuesday 22 November 2022

New guardsmen scale

 So the new guard are here and as lovely as they are, there are a few problems with them. The biggest problem for me.is that there are no new Catachan! If any kit could do with an upgrade it was the Catachan models and this shows in their rules, which quite frankly, are rubbish. Anyway, the new Cadian sculpts are here, as well as the new Kasrkins. I had a quick look around the net for comparison photos and found a few around, some of which I've copied across to here.


First up is a look at the new Kasrkins, which are huge! A standard Cadian guardsman is about a head shorter than the new Kasrkins. This was the first comparison shot that I saw, before the models had been released and I was slightly worried that all the new Cadian were going to get the Primaries treatment. The proportions of the new Kasrkins look good and it looks like a very nice model overall but I do time how tall it is compared to the Cadian. That said, it doesn't look as bad next to the Krieger. I don't actually recognise the other model, maybe a GSC model?


The next two photos are of the new Cadians and when I finally got a look at these pictures I was pleasantly surprised. The new Cadians, while different in proportion are very similar in size. They are more "true scale" and less of the old Heroic scale, which is just going to make the Catachans look even more comical! In the picture above you can see that they match up in height quite nicely to all the similar human models, with various examples of guard, a heretic and AdMech skitarii, with a Primaries marine for scale. 


I do like these models, I think they are very nicely done, they match nicely with the old models but are updated to take advantage of new technologies in plastic molding and modelling.


Finally we have this guy and WTF? If I was worried about the Kasrkins, what the hell is going on with this guy? He looks to be a clear head and shoulders about the guy standing next to him and yes, I see he's on his tactical rock but still this guy is huge! The models looks very nice but the size difference just doesn't do it for me. 

Overall I am really impressed with the new guard models, even if I have no plans on getting any of them. I am hopeful that we will get some new Catachans soon and when we do they will look every  bit as good as the Cadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment