Tuesday 12 July 2022

Random thoughts on Inquisitorial Detachments

 This is a bit of a random post in amongst all the picture and progress posts but it's something that sprung in to my head the other day while thinking about the new guard codex leaks. The current rules allow you to take a single Inquisitor under the Agent of the Imperium rules but this is a bit useless as it doesn't really give you the full experience of what an inquisitor can do. 

To really enable inquisitors to gain a proper feel, I think that the agents rule needs to be changed from an inquisitor to an inquisitorial patrol detachment.


Now, I don't think that the detachment should be a straight replacement for agents rule but just the basis. Firstly there should be three parts to the new rule;

1) only consist of a patrol detachment.

2) only one inquisitor per army.

3) detachment can form a maximum of 25 percent of the total force.

This would restrict what you can take and not break the game with a whole lead of inquisitorial detachment with tooled up inquisitors. It would give you just one Inquisitor and a nice supporting force to supplement the main army. Again this detachment would sit outside the main rules for battle forged armies and at wide doctrines, i.e. not resulting in guard loosing regimental doctrines or space marines loosing chapter tactics. To do this there would have to be some changes and to be honest, I'm not a hundred percent sure how some of this would work but I'll keep going and I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point.

There would need to be a couple of changes to Inquisitorial units for this to work as well, as currently Acolytes are elite choices, which I can understand but they are really the basic troop units of inquisitors and should be troops, with Jokaero and Daemon hosts remaining as elite. All the other rules for the various units should remain the same, as I don't see any thing wrong with them. 

This change will mean that you can fill a patrol detachment without any difficulty but this is not the only change in would like to see. Back in the old days, inquisitors of the Ordos Majoris could select to bring units from there respective forces, i.e. from either sisters, grey Knights or Deathwatch. I think that this rule should be brought back but with some obvious restrictions. The main one being obvious, that you can only bring a unit from the corresponding faction, so Hereticus can only bring a sisters of battle squad, Xenos can bring a Deathwatch squad and Malleus can bring a Grey Knights squad. Now, you might have picked up on the fact that is say squad, as that's what it would be, a single troops choice squad. They could have all there options but you can only have one squad, so no bringing several sisters squads, some repentia and a couple of penitent engines. I would allow them to bring a transport from their selection of dedicated transports. 

Talking of transports, this is the last thing I would change, I would allow the Acolytes to take a dedicated transport of their own, which I would restrict to the three guard transports, the chimera and both the taurox and taurox prime. This is because there are human driven vehicles, so no land raiders or even rhinos, which while can be driven by normal humans, as shown by the sisters, they are still power armour equipped. 

Lastly I wanted to mention about assassins. Now I'm not sure about this one, I have thought about maybe having assassins in again, with the restriction of only allowing one assassin per detachment, as inquisitors do have access to assassins but I wonder if having bot assassins and a squad of marines or sisters might be a bit much. I thing in general the points limit will be a deciding factor in this, so allowing both won't be that much of an issue. 

This I think would give a nice little bonus to the main army, maybe enabling you to do something that the main force can't do, such as having a Deathwatch squad tooled up for close combat in a guard army but still keep it fluffy, as it wouldn't be taking the majority of the points. I'm sure that some one could figure a way to abuse this system but then someone always does, so that would be anything new. I honestly can't see this happening in the new guard codex or even in a white dwarf article but it would be nice to get something more that we have at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment