Friday 10 July 2020

Combat Patrol



With all the new information coming from GW right now, I am really falling behind on posting things up. The information about Combat Patrol has been out a couple of weeks now and I'm only just getting around to writing about it. I think that I am going to have to up my posting schedule a little if I can to get through all that I want to say! Right now though, let's look at Combat Patrol, which along side Incursion, will most likely be the way I will play most.


As you would imagine, Combat Patrol is restricted to a single patrol detachment. This isn't really much of a problem, as at 500 points, there isn't much you can fit in. This keeps the playing field fairly level as well, although for some armies this will be very restrictive, such as Custodies. For me restriction won't hinder me, I will still be able to field pretty much everything I need to. I do wonder if Incursion will have similar restrictions, although we do know that there will be two detachments allowed at that level. 


We were also given one of the missions, which shows the new scoring method. It seems that points scored are going to go up somewhat, as objectives score 5 points, not just 1. Apart from this there is not much change from previously. The biggest changes to mention is that you will hold and objective from when your models first move on to it until an enemy model moves on to it, regardless if you have a model there or not, so no more objective camping required.

After the mission we get a couple of possible forces, from a number of different armies. I've just pulled out two here, mostly as of the 5 given, these are the only 2 I collect.


So, I own just 1 thing on this list, the Skitarii Rangers and with the Vanguard and two tech priest dominus, I can just about scratch together 350 points or there abouts. With the increase in point this should.probably got north of 400 but that still leaves me with a short fall. I would have liked to I coude one of the Armiger's but can't as it falls outside the patrol detachment, I will however be able to put the two of them in to the Incursion format, so that's ok. I might have to look at getting another unit, something heavier, possibly a dunecrawler or maybe some combat, maybe some ruststalkers or electro-priests? I will wait until the new points come out before making any purchases though, just to see how things shape up.


Next up are the space Marines and as you can imagine all these units come from the new boxset. I am still planning on putting together some marine lists, to replace my old school  marines with primaris ones but I will talk more about that in another post. My first new marine army will be the Eagle Knights and will probably be similar to the above list but will remove the bikes, probably to be replaced with Intercessors with stalker bolt rifles or maybe some of the new melta boys for some anti-armour. The bikes would be good for the Dark Guardians and I could play them all together under one detachment for bigger games.

As for all my guard, well so far I've worked up 4 lists that will no doubt change when we get the new points through. As it stands I have.an all infantry list (plus the usual Wyvern), a mechanised infantry list and a armoured list for guard and a airborne drop list for Scions. I could probably put together about another two or three different lists from what remains but I think that four will suffice for now.

So far I am liking combat patrol and it will.give me the option to have all the various armies I want but keep cost, model count and storage down to a minimum, which are all good things. 

1 comment:

  1. I build most of my armies to the 500 point marks as well. There are a few exceptions, but they're mainly the older armies which have been languishing in storage for years.

    ReplyDelete