Tuesday 23 July 2024

Station forge

So alongside the Grognards I brought and built the other day, I also decided to grab some other models from Station Forge, through a 3rd party of EBay. I have been looking at various models from Station Forge for a while but none had really taken my fancy enough to put down my money. The other thing that has held me back is that the model are all printed by third parties, so quality could vary quite a bit. 

In the end I decided to plumb for two different units. First up are the Royal Guard Elites. These are ten models in a variety of poses, with no real clear theme to the models. There are several models that could be used as Inquisitors or as psychics or even as Regimental Advisers for the guard.


The ten models

I will be using a couple of these models as Inquisitor models for my Imperial Knight force, which I will explain in a later post but I will need two inquisitors for the force.

Psychic Inquisitor and something else?

The model on the right is one of the few models that I really don’t have any idea what I’m going to use him for. There are literally no units that I think I can or want to use this model for.

Astropath and Priest

Master of Ordnance and Inquisitor

Psychic Inquisitor and Office of the Fleet

Inquisitor and Ratling

The small fellow here is most likely going to be a ratling to go with the 9 other ratlings that I own to enable me to field two squads, not that I ever actually field one unit.

These models were a bit of an impulse purchase when I was getting the other unit below, the extra cost was worth it I think. When I get them built, I will post them up here and give my views on them, from first glance there are a couple of imperfections in there but nothing really to cause problems.

The main unit that I wanted to buy was the Royal Guard Templars. I really like the aesthetic of these models, although the weapon load out needs some adjustment, as I need these guys with shields and mauls to make them in to proxy Arbites Subductor Squad. The base models really fit in well with the idea of an Imperial Knight household force.  

All 12 models

There are actually twelve models in the squad and I have brought two squads worth of models. I don’t know yet how they are going to work with the arbites shield and mauls but hopefully they will be alright.

Priest, maybe? Plus Sergeant.

Initially I thought I would use this model as an Inquisitor but then I saw the other models above and so now I’m not sure what I will use this as. One option is to use this as the Proctor-Subductor or sergeant, due to his extra bits and pieces and use the staff as a Nuncio Aquila. 


An example of some of the troop options. There are a couple of two handed poses that I will need to try and figure out but hopefully I should be able to mix and match arms to get a decent pose. 

Standard and trooper

I am also going to keep the standard, even though it doesn’t actually do anything or even exist in the game, I think it just looks really good and why wouldn’t they be carrying the house banner in to combat with them!
One other alteration i am going to make is to give them a head swap. At present I a thinking of using the heads from the Navy Breachers, as its the one part of the models I don’t like. I may go for a different head type once I have a couple built and tested the various heads I have. 

There are a couple of other models that I quite like the look of, the first one is the Grim Guard Armoured Transport. This is basically a Taurox but looks a lot better. Their trouble is that they are not significantly cheaper than the actual Taurox to make it a must buy. I would be after at least of four of them, maybe even 6 but that still a hundred to 150 pounds, which i more that i can really justify right now. They will however stay on my eBay wish list for the monent.


The last models are the Grim Guard Battle weapons set. The issue with this set is that i only need the two bigger guns / artillery pieces and not the three smaller heavy weapon teams. For the cost of the set, it’s cheaper to just buy the GW Field Ordnance battery sets. If I could get just the big guns, then it might make sense to get them but at the moment it’s just not worth it. 


I will look at building the models soon and get a review posted up and also dive in to my plans for the Imperial Knight household guard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment