Friday 9 December 2022

Dagr Ormr Militarum Tempestus strike force

 


The Dagr Ormr Militarum Tempestus strike force is the last of the guard armies to look at and again there are a number of issues. While this seems to be the easiest to fix on paper, it's going to require the most amount of modelling to get sorted as there are going to need some extra Scion models building and painting.
The smallest of the forces, it currently consists of:

Tempestor Prime (x2)
Militarum Tempestus Scions: 9x Scion, 2x HS Volley Gun
Militarum Tempestus Scions: 10x Scion, 2x Meltagun
Militarum Tempestus Scions: 9x Scion, 2x Plasma gun
Militarum Tempestus Scions: 10x Scion, 2x HS Volley Gun
Militarum Tempestus Scions: 9x Scion, 2x Meltagun
Militarum Tempestus Scions: 9x scions, 2x Plasma gun
Militarum Tempestus Command Squad: 3x Hot-shot Volley Gun, Vox-caster
Militarum Tempestus Command Squad: Flamer, Medi-pack, Platoon Standard, Vox-caster

Company Commander (x2)
Primaris Psyker
Command Squad: Heavy flamer, Medi-pack, Regimental Standard, Flamer
Commissar
Ogryn Bodyguard
Ratlings
Special Weapons Squad: 3x Grenade launcher
Veterans
Heavy Weapons Squad: Lascannon
Heavy Weapons Squad: Mortar (x2)

For a total of 1464pts.

Now I did have some plans for this army, including slotting in 3 blobs of 30 man conscript units. However, with the removal of conscripts from the codex, this is now no longer possible. While it does save me some painting, it also leaves me some issues. So this army is also split into two distinct sections, the scions and guard. I'll look at the guard section first as this is possibly the quickest to work through. 

To start with, the three heavy weapons squads will remain as they are, as they are still legal, as will the ratling snipers, primaris psyker and the commissar, who doesn't need a demotion this time around! 
The command squad is also going to be quick to fix, as it's fine as is for once, all it needs is the addition of one of the commanders and the Ogryn and we good to go. It's from he one that things get a bit dicey. With one commander left, a special weapons squad with 3 grenade launchers and a squad of bare bones vets. My plan is to split the special weapons squads up and put a grenade launcher in to two squads and a command squad, alongside a guardsman, I'll also split the vets up, meaning I'll have two squads of 7, so will need to add in some addition guardsmen from the left overs of the other forces. I'll also add in any special weapons I have around, including the heavy flamers from the Hrossey Yeomanry, which will join the command squad. 
This will give me 2 troop choices for this detachment, so I will have to pull in another infantry unit from else where, most likely from the guard kill team, which has been superseded by the bespoke vet guard team. 

This will fill out the guard detachment legally and even add a few points as we move towards the 2000 point target. The militarum tempests half of the list also need a fair bit of work. Starting with the HQ elements, I currently have two Primes and two command squads, however, only one of the command squads is legal now. This means that I need to form a second command squad. This isn't as much of a problem as it could be as I need to bolster some of my other squads and I can do this with two of the HS volley guns of the second command squad, adding two new members from the additional troops I'll be building. I will also be looking to add an additional command squad to the roster.
Of the six squads I currently have only two are legal, as all squads contain two of the same special weapon but only two have the ten men required to field them. Now, with the addition of the two HS volley guns from the command squad, I can fill out a plasma squad to 10 men, plus that gains me an extra body. This could give me 4 legal 10 squads and shuffling the others around I could form another 10 man squad, a 5man squad and fill the rest of the command squad but I don't intend on doing this. What I intend on doing is a little more complex. With the extra box I have brought I intend on building more special weapons to form two squads with HS volley and plasma, two squads with melta and grenade launchers (this might change), one squad with HS volley guns and Grenade launchers and one with grenade launchers and flamers. This actually gives me 10 spare scions to form into two more squads, with additions probably with one being flamers and grenade launchers and one being HS volley guns and flamers, although these will wait until I have all the other squads and command squads sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment