Friday 25 June 2021

The Guard Codex in 9th


 Over the next few weeks I have decided to take a look over the guard codex and think about what we might hope for from the new codex. We don't know when the new codex is going to be released, there has been no mention of it yet but hopefully it will be this year sometime, as we are in need of a new one. Whilst there have been a number of changes over then last few years to the core codex with the release of things like Psychic Awakening and Imperium Nihilus, there are still several issue with the codex. 

The plan is to go through all of the various parts of the codex from warlord traits and regimental doctrines through to each unit and abilities, I will only be focusing on things that I think need changing, either because they are not very good or because they are really to good and we can expect that something will change. This will not be a comprehensive list and I have not sources of information other than my own thoughts and ideas, so don't read to much in to what I'm going to say. 

There will be quite a few posts in all this but I will try to keep everything as compact as I can and not go wondering off on tangents or into fantasy land to often!

I think most people will agree that the guard codex is in need of an update, as we're are one of the weaker codices around. We are not the weakest and we do have a few good units, but there are really only one or two builds that are competitive and both involve Demolisher tank commanders and full payload manticores, both of which we can reasonably expect to receive some sort of nerf. 

There are also some obvious holes when it come to units, whether these will be fixed or not is a different matter but we can be hopeful. I've touched a few times on units I think need including to fill gaps in certain lists and options but I will go in to them again in their relevent sections.

We know that we will get a some secondary objectives, what these will be is another matter but I suspect that there will be at least one that will revolve around orders. Hopefully these secondaries will give us the ability to play to our strengths but that's not guaranteed. 

I will start this process off by looking through all the various detachment rules and options before moving on to the actual units and talking through all of them. So first up will be the basic detachment rules and standard abilities.



2 comments:

  1. I always found my mate's Imperial Guard really tough. As Tyranids though I suppose that's not surprising. They've got loads of tools and the orders were really great buffs, not to mention that heirloom that everyone used to take to harvest extra Command Points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guard are not easy to play against but they are hard to win with. We just don't have the toys that other armies do and we're stuck with only a couple of builds that work. With some of the recent changes to secondaries and stuff we're better off then we were but there's still a way to go before we're competitive again.

      Delete