Friday 25 January 2019

A late Christmas catch-up

So, I realised the other day that I haven't told you all about my lovely Christmas presents. I didn't get to much hobby stuff this Christmas, mostly as I have enough to be getting on with already and don't need anymore grey plastic for the cupboard of shame!

One thing I did ask for was some hobby supplies, namely some new, decent brushes to replace my cheap hobby craft ones that I've always used. These brushes haven't been a problem up until now but I'm trying to push my painting and try new techniques and I'm finding that the brushes are not as good as I would like. The points don't keep there shape unless the brush is loaded, which makes a mess as there's to much paint for fine detailed work. So i figured a couple of nice shiny new proper miniature brushes would be useful and help me improve my painting. What I was expecting was maybe a small pack with 2 to 3 brushes in, which is what I got.

The Army Painters Most Wanted set.


So I ended up with the Army Painters Most Wanted set, with 3 brushes in. These include, what I would call, a standard brush, for the majority of my painting needs, also a fine detailed brush, one that I intend to use to add in extra details to really try push my fine detailed work and finally a proper dry brush, which will hopefully improve my dry brushing, which is currently done by a random old brush. I was perfectly happy with this set, however my wife had a surprise for me.

A Windsor and Newton Series 7

Yes, my lovely wife obviously puts in more time and effort to research my presents than I put in to researching hers! This was a surprise and one I was definitely not expecting. I'm sort of scared to actually use it, as I don't feel that my painting it quite at that level. I will use it and I have some of the B&J "the Master" brush cleaner to go with it and keep it in tip top condition.

My other 40k presents came from my sister and consisted of two new releases:

Marneus Calgary and friends

First up was Calgary in new primaris form with his two mates. This is not a model I would have brought as I don't collect Ultrasmurfs but it is one I am very much looking forward to painting. I plan on spending a lot of time on it, really pushing the datail work and really just trying to make this the centre piece model it should be. I will also look at putting together a small force for the table top, adding in my 3 primaris intercessors as a captain and two lieutenants and adding a unit of vets armed with hammers and shields or claws, as a supporting force, creating a supreme command detachment.

The second part was Chapter Approved 2018

CA18

Again, I probably wouldn't have brought this myself, I had thought about it, as it includes rules for sisters but i wouldn't have brought it for any other reason. Having had it brought for me, I have spend quite a bit of time pouring over the pages and I do think it's full of good things. How much I will use, I don't honestly know but I like having it anyway. The sisters codex is interesting and there seems some really good options and combinations in there but I'm really after kill team rules, as that's all I plan on getting. I've enough 40k armies as it is, I don't need any more but would still like a small force to complete my armies of the Imperium collection. Also the commander custom tables are interesting but as there only for narrative play, there a bit useless to me.

Overall I think this is quite a nice little Xmas haul. I'm really looking forward to getting a good chunk of time to get to grips with my new brushes and to paint up some of my deathwatch marines. Calgar will get some attention later this year hopefully and CA18 will no doubt much flicked through, for interest of not for gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment