Friday 14 April 2023

Battle foam boxes£

We hobbits are forever on a quest to find the most cost effective and easiest storage solutions for storing our precious models and up until now I have tried a few different options. I have magnetic storage trays, KR multicast, GW cases, shoe boxes with foam bits, ice cream tubs and plastic bags full of models and I’ve always come back to KR as my first choice in storage. However these are not cheap and have their limitations. However, while surfing the internet or rather eBay, I can across some options for storage boxes and while comparing prices to see if they were worth a punt I can across some Battle Foam boxes and on checking the website I found that their empty D-Boxes are on discount, down from £8.40 to £3.36. With the cost of postage I managed to get 6 boxes for less than £30. With some foam purchased from the local haberdashery, I managed to put together all the stuff i needed to build storage for all my remaining models for less than £35 or £30 for just the material (not including postage). 

D-Boxes

I brought 6 boxes, two of black, green and white. They were a little bit smaller that i though they were going to be, but that’s not a problem. The boxes are are about half the size of the KR standard boxes but are a little bit deeper. For me this works well as they are to be used to store my smaller armies, like my AdMech and my Deathwatch. One thing that i was surprised at was that despite the fact that the boxes are empty, they came ready assembled and in a huge box.

The factory

So after getting all the stuff together I started to build my new storage boxes. Yes, this takes a bit more time than just buying ready made but this way i get fully customised trays. It quite simple to build, just takes a bit of time waiting for the glue to dry properly.

Rhino storage

It can take a bit of working out to get the best use of space and also to make sure that you get a full box and are no it over or under the box capacity. I didn’t find this to much of a problem, just have to take your time with it, the hardest thing I found was making sure that you cut the pieces to the right size and I cut several to big and to small but managed to get things to go together alright. 

AdMech box


This is an example of the custom trays that i managed to build. The Dominus models are significantly bigger that the standard Skitarii, but i only have a couple of them and I am not planning of getting any more. Therefore I build a tray that was uneven to hold the Dominus models and also fir a number of Skitarii.



The vehicle tray at the bottom was also custom built to hold the two armigers and the AdMech tank. I probably could have built this try slightly differently however it works very well.

So that was one box with around 1000 points of AdMech and i have built a second box with 1000 points of Deatchwatch, with a couple of Rhinos and a Dread (the rhino tray above) plus a number of troops. I have 4 boxes left and I’m not quite sure what I’ll be putting in these. One will most likely get my Dark Guardians first born marines army and i would look to put the Eagle Knights First born in another although it will most likely need two boxes for them. Depending upon the Rutledge for 10th, i may well look at building a full Inquisition army (about 1000 points) and put that in a box. Alternatively I may look to put all my kill team stuff in one box, with all the teams, counters and other bits.


The big box

This is the big box that that all the smaller boxes came in, with a ton of small bits of foam, mostly the cut outs from other trays. They are a bit useless and I feel bad about just chucking them out but I have no need for them. The kids have been having great fun with all the bit though.

No comments:

Post a Comment