Tuesday 25 April 2023

Another crazy army idea

 So, there have been two boarding patrols announced recently, and by recently I mean the last two boarding patrols to be announced. The League of Votann one looks good but I still don't have much interest in them, I might have more if I could do the majority of them as AI units with just a few actual people in there but I don't think that you really can. The other box is the only release recently that I've looked at and wanted to buy, well since the release of the field ordnance battery and rough riders but apart from them there has been nothing in a long time. 

Boarding patrol boxes

The box comes with a number of units that I'm actually interested in, in fact I'm interested in all the units there, which is rare, as there is usually at least one unit that I don't care for.

Navy units


The box has a bit of an issue though, as far as I can tell yo can't actually field this as a legal force. I could well be wrong but my understanding is that the rouge trader cannot be taken as a compulsory HQ choice and the Eversor assassin would have to be fielded as an Agent of the Imperium in the Navis Imperialis detachment. Now for boarding actions this may be different and I might have missed some rules here but it doesn't seem to work for Arcs of Omen detachments. 
Anyway, as far as I know I can just run it as an agent's of the Imperium detachment but I will have to run some acolyte squads to get my compulsory choices.

So what does the box have in it? To start with it has the Rouge Trader and her retinue, formed of the Rouge trader, Death Cult Executioner, Lectro-Maester and Rejuvenat Adept. There is also the five Voidsmen with doggo and then the 20 Navy Breachers. In addition there is also the Eversor assassin. 

This gives a nice little core to the force and clocks in at about 450 to 480 points, depending upon wargear and extras. Most of the time I think it would work out to 470. This gives me almost half the 1000 points I'd be looking for in this army. The next additions are pretty simple and are formed of units I already have painted up. These units will be 3 squads of 6 acolytes, armed in a variety of ways. These three squads will add another 240 points, and when the Inquisitor is added in, for another 65 or so points, that's brings the total up to around 795. Add in another assassin, this time a long ranged one in the form of the Vindicare and your up to 885. 

Finally, I would like to add two more squads. These are both Adeptus Arbites squads, one a Subductor squad and the other an Exaction squad. (I thought about the Vigilant squad, but they are too similar to the Navy Breachers). These units are here for two reasons, firstly the Subductor squad for their shields and mauls as a counter punch unit, ready to charge down any units that get a little too close. The Exaction squad, or maybe two smaller squads, will be upgraded and tooled up to hit specific characters and models. 

With these two units we'd be looking at around 1135 for a base 10 man  Exaction squad to 1273 with two tooled up 5 man squads. So a full agents of the Imperium Inquisitorial strike force.

Now, I am looking at buying the Agents boarding patrol box but I don't know if I will buy two boxes or more of the Adeptus Arbites, most likely I won't. I might however buy a box of Wargames Atlantic's Ooh Rahs.



These models are not my favourite models from wargames Atlantic, that would be the Bulldogs, but they don't have the right look for Arbites.  

The central head would be my head of choice for an Arbite.

Shotgun looking rifles.

These models look like they could be a very good proxy for Arbites, with rifles that could easily stand for shotguns, if I dont kitbash the spare Navy Breacher shotguns, which would be my preferred option. The meavy weapons will work as stubbers and the special would work as a Webber stand in. I would need to find some shields (probably eBay) and some mauls for the Subductor squad but that should be easy enough.

With a box of 24 models costing 25 pound, I can easily pick up a single box and build 3 squads for the cost of less than one box from GW.

There is a bit "IF" with all of this though and that is 10th edition. Before I commit to any of this I will wait and see what the actual rules look like 10th and how there units will work together in regards to faction keywords and the like.



No comments:

Post a Comment