Tuesday 7 January 2020

2019 review

It's that time of year again, time to look back over the past year and see what I've managed to achieve and how well I did with my 2019 resolutions. This year there have been some big changes, with the arrival of child and with the wife being on maternity leave, plus changing shifts from nights to evenings. This meant that I eventually ended up with both more and less hobby time. In the beginning I had more hobby time at night, when the big kids were asleep and the wife was out dancing with the little one. Later, when the wee one went on to a bottle, he was left he with me and as such my limited hobby time disappeared completely. As such I've barely touched a brush in months.

So what did I actually achieve from my 2019 resolutions?

1) complete my deathwatch kill team.

There has been very little progress on this one. The only thing that has changed is Elites and the addition of 5 vanguard vets. So there has been a bit of silver painted, mostly the silver arms and that's it. So this is most definitely a fail.

2) complete my inquisitorial\scions kill team.

Done! Yep, got this one done pretty early on and have been played a couple of games with these guys.  There not done to the standard I had hoped to get them to but I figured 8t was better to have them done and finished than dragging out waiting for the dinner details to get done.

3) complete AdMech kill team.

Almost done. I say almost as the painting is done, all I need to do is to quickshade the models. Again, they are not quite as detailed as I wanted but they are done and finished, so I'm happy.

4) paint and base terrain.

Well, I sprayed up one test model. Pretty much just sprayed up grey, which is fine and I plan on trimming some bases and flocking them. All very simple but hopefully effective, anyway, that's going to have to roll over until next year now.

5) finish building my custom storage trays.

Kind of. My custom kill team storage trays are built but not my 40k ones. I plan on actually building another set for kill team, one for each of my teams but the 40k ones have pretty much been put on hold for the moment, as the main focus of them was for the various Marines armies and they have also been put on hold, hence not much need for proper storage trays. So I'm counting this one's a half done and the other half as no longer necessary.

6) complete chaos kill team.

Started but nowhere near finished. I've started the cultists and have a plan for the Marines but not had anytime to complete them lately, hopefully they will be completed next year!

7) complete marine kill team.

Well this one's has gone up and down several times over the year. First it went down to just a scout based kill team, then it went up and down and finally back up to the current level. At the moment were at a full scout team and three 10 man Marine teams, a BA, a DA and a SW team.  Only the BA team is anywhere near complete, with only 1 model to paint, the rest however shouldn't take too long to finish next year!

8) Marneus Calgar.

This model is a year old now and has finally be built (in the last month or two!) The idea for the force is not complete as well, and will form part of a supreme command detachment with a primaris captain, two lieutenants, the two guard and either an apothecary, ancient or champion, or possibly a small honour guard. Currently I'm leaning towards the apothecary, to keep Calgar going a bit longer.

So, there were 8 objectives this year and I managed to complete 3. Ok, so I did manage to complete 3 of the 4 main objectives and made a start on most of the others. I managed to paint up 39 models out of the 60 main ones I wanted to paint, with the 21 others being started but not finished. So, all in all, I don't think I've done to badly. Next year's objectives will continue on from this lot with only a few additions.

With 2019's list done, let's have a little look further back.

2018 had a number of outstanding items.

¹) paint up the remainder of the Dagr Ormr Militarum Tempestus force.

Still not done, not even primed.

³) finish building my jungle plant terrain.

This item has been on every list for the last couple of years and was on last year's and will be on this year's. As there is little point repeating the same item every year, I'm going to scrub all previous entries from the various lists.

⁴) get pictures of the complete hjaltland LI and Eagle Knights.

Still not done and the Eagle Knights have been packed up for storage, so probably won't get done for them. I have an almost complete picture for the Hjaltland LI so that's good enough for me. Marking this as done.

5) get as much of the Hrossey Yeomanry and Dark Guardians primed and base coated as possible.

Dark Guardians have been primed and sort of base coated (both being black!) and packed up for storage. The Hrossey Yeomanry have mostly been primed with the exception of a couple of models, so I'm gonna called this one done.

6) update my narratives, taking in to account the 8th edition universe.

I have done this a bit but I should do more. This should be a rolling thing, so I'm gonna call this one done.

8) add in new models, ogryns bodyguard's and MT transports.

The ogryn, or rather bullgryns as they actually are, have been built and added to forces, however, no more models are going to be added to anymore 40k armies. My focus this year, as last, will be on kill team. So I'm also calling this one done.

From 2017, there were 3 outstanding resolutions:

1) table terrain and gaming surface. Having just got a mat and mdf terrain for Christmas, I need  to get on with building and painting the terrain. 

As mentioned above, I'm scrubbing all there separate entries for terrain.

6) finalize a list for the Dark Guardians.

With the dark Guardians being parked for the foreseeable future, I'm scrubbing this one off the list.

9) sort out my storage, I have cases but no storage trays. Empty cases are pretty useless.

As mentioned above, a rejig in priorities means this is not relevant anymore and so I'm scrubbing this too.

From 2015 and 2016 there are no outstanding resolutions!

So, all in all  not to bad. I think I can scrub quite a few things off the list this year, both from last year's list and also from previous lists. The resolutions for this coming year will consist of all the remaining items from all the previous years to try and wipe the slate clean and start a fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment