Friday 27 July 2018

Quickshade methods

I mentioned in my last post that I had struck upon a method for speeding up the quickshade process. Now, I can't take credit for this idea Asni have seen a few videos, from when I was initially looking at quickshade several years ago. The classic and official method, is to dip the model and then shake them rather violently to shake off the excess liquid. This method does the same thing, just rather than using a vertical motion, it uses a rotary action.

The basic equipment, drill, small clamp and a bit of wire coat hanger. 

So, it's a bit heath Robinson but it works. The clamp was connected to the drill by a bit of wire coat hanger that was wrapped around the clamps center and then twisted up, before being placed in to the drills chuck. The clamp works well for 25mm bases and also 30mm bases but just can't handle 32mm bases, which Isn't a problem here but will be when I come to do the marines.


The system in action. The jar is these for two reasons; firstly to stop the quickshade spraying all over the room and secondly so that I can pour it back in to the pot and reuse it. 

Here are a couple of shots of the model that was used in the video above. As you can see it's turned out pretty well, with a good coating of quickshade. 


While this model turned out pretty good, the main issue that I have discovered is that the shade tends to pool around the leg pouches a bit more than I would like. The other issue is that sometimes due to the way the model sits in the clamp, you can end up with some areas almost devoid of shade, while others require the use of a tissue and brush to clean off the excess. Despite this, this will be my go to method for applying quickshade until I have to start shading a lot of 32mm based models.

No comments:

Post a Comment