Friday 28 September 2018

Kill Team - Terrain

While I was browsing the internet looking for the Drop Force Imperator boxset on various discount retailers, I had a look at some of the various terrain options that I thought might be good for kill team. While there are almost unlimited number of kits available out there, I couldn't justify the cost of a lot of them or they just wouldn't have fitted any of my current themes. However, I did come across this box. 



It's one of the terrain crates available from Mantic games and is primarily designed for use in dead zone. I don't know a lot about them but there appears to be a couple of different options, this one being the industrial accessories kit and contains a big pipe, similar to the promethium pipes from GW, a thinner set of pipes, a conveyor system, a couple of generators and some small scenic bits. 

The conveyor, generators and small pipes.

The generators are one of the best features in this pack I think, they are just the right size to hide behind. They are also quite nicely detailed. The conveyor belt looks quite good but has one minor flaws, it is a raised system but is designed to fit over the main pipe work, there is no other way of supporting it in the box set. I have been looking around at ways of supporting it without using the pipe but as yet I have not been able to find a suitable alternative. I will keep looking as I think that it would make a very interesting terrain piece, something different. I could just run it along the floor but I think that then it will not have the same impact. The small pipework that is in the box is also an interesting piece but I don't know how useful it will be, it also has quite a big flaw in the design. It is designed to stand about an inch or so above the ground on stands, however, all the stands have the mantic connector system on the bottom of them, meaning that they won't stand up properly on there own. If I want to use them, I am going to have to go around and cut off all the bits off the bottom of the stands to make them flat and stand the pipe as it is shown on the box art. Its annoying and as yet I haven't been bothered to do it. One day I probably will, but there are other things to do first.

The main pipework

The main set of pipe work is very similar in size and scale to the promethium pipes and if I have done a bit more planning when inbuilt them, I could have used the ends that would have enabled me to fit these pipes (almost) flush with the GW pipes. The one advantage of these pipes is that they are a lot more modular, conning in a number of short sections, enabling you to build these in to pretty much any shape you want to. This in itself can cause problems, as deciding exactly how to build them can be take some time. Overall though, I really like these and if you own either the original promethium pipes or the newer plasma conduits, then this could be a very useful set for adding in more options and pipe connections.


Lastly I though that I would put up a little bit about the munitorum armoured containers. I got two of these in the Imperial kill team boxset and they form the last of my new terrain pieces. They are, as usual for GW these days, very nice bits of terrain. Not only do you get the containers, but 4 crates and 3 barrels per sprue. These make good scatter terrain or if I ever figure out the conveyor belt, the will be added to that for extra details. The containers themselves are easy to put together and are nicely detailed and as I mentioned in the review of the drop force Imperator, the fact that there brown is a bonus as it doesn't look like I haven't bothered to  paint them,

All in all, with this boxset, the containers, my promethium pipe relay and aegis defense line, I have more than enough terrain to fill a kill team board, that's if only I actually had one. I have an idea in mind but I need to do a little more research before I take the plunge and buy it. I'll let you know if and when I do though.

No comments:

Post a Comment