Tuesday 29 January 2019

A review of 2018

So 2019 is here and has been for a few weeks now and 2018 is sliding in to history, so it's time to look back over the last year and see how the hobby has done.

For 2018 I set didn't set too many goals, having learnt from previous years that I never achieve all of them but how many did I achieve in 2018?

Let's look through my objectives for 2018 shall we:

¹) paint up the remainder of the Dagr Ormr Militarum Tempestus force. - this has been started and a colour scheme for the PDF that accompany and support the scions has been chosen. Well, this didn't get done, although it wasn't a total failure. All of the PDF heavy weapons teams have been completed and that includes basing them. The PDF vets haven't been done and the remainder of the Dagr Ormr are still grey plastic. I might try again next year to complete them but they may well be on the back burner for a bit.

²) find a suitable base material for all my forces. - i think i have settled on one of the army painter battlefields scatters for the main part, i just need to take the plunge and do it. Done. I took the plunge and I think it matches my battle Matt pretty well. I have based up all of my hjaltland light infantry and also my PDF heavy weapons squads. I want to do my Eagle Knights but I need to quick shade them first.

³) finish building my jungle plant terrain. - need MDF boards and plaster mix, oh and time. Got the boards and plaster, just haven't had the time. Still on the plan, just down sized for kill team at the moment.

⁴) get pictures of the complete hjaltland LI and Eagle Knights. - as my first and second fully painted armies ever, this is something i really want to do.  Yes, the Hjaltland are finished and based, the eagle knights are painted, just need some quickshade soft tone before I can base them.  As for pictures, well, not quite yet. It's finding the time to get all the units layed out on the table and photograph all of them with my big camera and flash. I still really want to do this, to showcase the armies, but I'm just happy that there all painted right now.

5) get as much of the Hrossey Yeomanry and Dark Guardians primed and base coated as possible. - these are the next two armies to be painted after the Dagr Ormr, with Hrossey being the first of the two. Well, I've kind of done this. There all primed ready but the Guardians need some work on the addition units I gained this year, namely the attack bikes and extra ravenwing bikes. The Hrossey are all primed and ready to paint.

6) update my narratives, taking in to account the 8th edition universe. - the setting and armies all need updating, but especially the Dark Guardians and Eagle Knights, in light of there respective codices. I think I need to do some more work on this, even though I did update the narrative at the beginning of the year. Hopefully I get some time to sit down and update it again, especially now I've changed ideas and plans with the release of kill team.

7) finish off my inquisitorial warband. - a fluff thing more than anything, but will help to tie things together. Still working on this and there have been some changes as well. With the change in rules for inquisitors and warbands I had to update things and with the release of kill team, I've updated things even further, as the warband is now a kill team, although still 40k legal.

8) add in new models, ogryns bodyguard's and MT transports. - shiny new models are always fun, but bodyguard's are new to the codex and the scions have been waiting for transport your ages. ( Come on anvil industries, where are the Taipan APC's you showed us?) Well, ogryn bodyguards are modelled and half painted, not sure when they'll get the other half painted but there there. As for MT transports, I'm still no further along. I still don't like the Taurox and Anvil don't seem to have made any progress on there Tiapan. Still keep an eye out for alternatives, but nothing so far.

Well, I think that went rather well. I got a fair bit painted up, more that I expected but I still didn't complete everything on the list. With the release of kill team last year, my focus has been shifted completely from 40k and so I've had less enthusiasm to batch paint dozens of models at a time and have been enjoying being more creative with individual models, even for guard forces. I plan on completing all the outstanding armies at some point or another but right now, that seems like it's a long way off.

In addition to the 2018 goals, there were still some outstanding ones from previous years, let's see if any of them got completed.

From 2017, there were 3 outstanding resolutions:

1) table terrain and gaming surface. Having just got a mat and mdf terrain for Christmas, I need  to get on with building and painting the terrain! These are still in the as built stage, no paint but still lots of plans. I hoping to get at least some of them done this year, enough to form a battle zone for kill team. 

6) finalize a list for the Dark Guardians. While the list has been rejigged for 8th, I picked up a bunch more models. As a result the list is 99% finalized, it's just about whether I can do the conversions I need to in order to use the list properly. So I'm counting this as finally done.

9) sort out my storage, I have cases but no storage trays. Empty cases are pretty useless. I am in the process of rectifying this issue. A short while ago, I purchased a large price of foam from the local soft furnishings shop and have started to turn them in to storage trays. While softer that the KR foam, it is working well so far but again, it's about getting time to actually finished the project.

From 2016 there are no outstanding resolutions! For 2015 though, there was 1 left:

2) Base coat all vehicles, should be easy with an air brush! I've got a few done, but need to get the rest sorted. I'll try and get some of the details done as well. - So, this is now all done. All vehicles are primed and base coated in one form or another. There are 2 LRBT's that need a second coat but apart from that there all done and this resolution is cleared!

 So, all in all not bad. I'm getting there with all the outstanding resolutions, with 2015 and 2016 cleared and 2017 reduced to just 2, both of which are being worked on and will hopefully be cleared by the end of this year. The 2018 goals have gone pretty well, with a few completed and many others a good way along. Next up will be 2019's resolutions, which will have to be pretty simple if I'm to stand any chance of completing them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment