Tuesday 16 October 2018

The big FAQ 2018 no.2




So, last time I looked at the Codex FAQ and Erratas, this time I thought I would look through the big FAQ itself and pick out bits I thought were relevant or interesting.

As usual there are some new Beta rules and some of the old beta rules have been made permanent. This time is slightly different, as one of the beta rules has been re-written and put back in to beta. We'll start with the beta rules that have become finalised. Battle Brothers is confirmed and the two other rules, Psychic Focus and the Targeting Characters rule continue as pretty much everyone thought it would.

The big change is to the Tactical Reserves Beta rule, which has been re-written and there have been some key changes. This wasn't what I was expecting but it does it make sense. I know that alpha strike units were a powerful force in 8th and were dominating the game some what. The previous beta rule meant that units could only drop in there own deployment zone first turn, now you cant drop at all. The other big change is the change form power levels to matched points. The first change seems to have come about as several armies, such as Genestealer Cults and Ravenguard had ways and means around the restrictions. There were also some changes to these abilities but I'll get to that below. As a result of all this, the new beta rule has been proposed and I think its not quite right. I understand that alpha strikes are not great for the game but I think banning all reinforcements turn 1 is not a good idea. I don't really have an idea of how to fix it apart from maybe restrict the points limit further but I don't think that's really the solution. We'll see how this rule plays out and if they change it again. I really like that they didn't just make some changes and go with it, putting it back through beta is a really good step in my eyes. On a final point, changing over to match play points is good, I know power levels are GW's new thing but very few people seem to use them and no tournaments I know of do, so it seemed to just be there to complicate things plus there was a lot of room for abuse.

Related to this beta rules are changes to a number of Stratagems, namely all the ones that allowed you to place units in reserve that normally wouldn't be able to, such as "strike from the shadows" and "forward operations". These have all had huge changes, meaning units now actually have to deploy and then can move, usually 9 inches. There are two things I don't like about these changes. Firstly, the standard move distance. Each unit should just get a move, what ever it's normal, data sheet move is. Thus still means each unit acts as it should, instead of giving some units a movement noisy and others a nerf. Secondly, I think having to revel the stratagem when you deploy a units is wrong, as it gives the opposition a chance to counter something that in theory you shouldn't know about. I think it would be better to play this stratagem after deployment but before the first battle round, meaning it retains its element of surprise and the intention\fluff of the stratagem.

There are also changes to two eldar Stratagems that are related to the tactical reserves rule but I don't know what the original said, so don't know what the changes are.

We then move into the new beta rules and this is going to have a pretty big impact on the game. The first, the "prepared positions" stratagem is a nice bonus and is going to see a lot of use. It gives the second player a chance to weather the storm. We'll see if its too powerful and means that everyone wants to go second but I doubt it. I will no doubt be using this for my guard as there is little chance of getting every unit in to cover! I can see this going straight into the main book without any changes.

The next rule, Tactical Restraint, is one that I hope they don't implement as it is now. I see the need for this, as with some combinations, such as the guard warlord trait and relic alongside the Blood Angels relic, were very powerful and I have in the one game I have used that combination, ended with about the same command points as I started with despite using lots of them. I do however, think that this has gone a little to far the other way. Only being able to get one point back per battle round I think is very restrictive. I think that it should be limited but at most I think it should be limited to being able to get one point per option or at most never being able to gain more than you started with. I think the intent is right but the execution is wrong and besides, all that will happen is that people will start including small Battalions, such as Guard ones costing as little as 180 points, to gain the 5 command points. two battalions will net you an extra 10 command points for just 360 points and in a 2000 point games that still leaves 1640 points for a main detachment and the possibility of at least 14 command points or potentially over 20.

The next section is just an adjustment of stratagems to balance the game out. Mostly its about command point increases. The Imperial Knights got quite a few price hikes, as they were some very potent stratagems, while the Chaos stratagem  got a cavate that means that you can no longer get a save better than 4++. The two of note are the increase to the Blood Angels stratagem, "upon wings of fire" upping the cost from 1cp to 2cp's. Not a great problem, even at two command points its still a good stratagem and has multiple uses.

The last change on the page is actually in two parts, firstly the price hike, up to 4cp, making it one of the most expensive stratagems in the game but its also one of the best. The second part is a long awaited clarification on its use. The stratagem in question is the Drukhari "Agents of Vect", seen by many as the best stratagem in the whole game, able to shut down an opponents play and alter the course of a whole game in a moment. To be honest I have no view on the price increase, as I've never played against a DE player and have never seen the stratagem used. However I have seen numerous discussions around who can use the stratagem. There was a lot of debate about the wording, as it didn't specifically say that it could only be use by the Kabal of the Black Heart, even though it was titled as one of there Stratagems. I think it was one of those cases where RAI and RAW really came in to force. It was clear it was intended to only be used by the Kabal of the Black Heart detachments but as it didn't specifically say that in the text, it could be used by anyone. Now however it has been cleared up and it now states that at least 1 unit of Black Heart must be in the board to use it. This brings the RAI in line with the RAW and makes it as it should have been in the first place and stops all the people who were clearly bending the rules to there advantage. It has also now been stated that it is only an in game stratagem and can't be use before the first turn starts. I wonder if the changes will see a reduction in the use of the stratagem or not. With the clarification that you need a Black Heart unit for the stratagem to be used, your now enforcing a tax on it for a lot of people, either through the auxiliary detachment and it's -1cp or through the use of a patrol detachment and the associated unit costs. Also, remove the Black Heart units and the stratagem is stopped. Maybe this along with the price hike is too much?

Which ever way you look at it, the big FAQ is another step in the right direction, although I'm still unconvinced by the Tactical Restraint rule. We will see what the Chapter Approved 2018 brings in a couple of months as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment