Friday 30 December 2022

2022 review

  

As we move from 2022 to 2023 it is time to look back at all the objectives that I set myself at the beginning of the year and see if I have been able to complete many of them. Last year I set myself a fairly easy list of things to do, in order to break the cycle of failing the majority of them! I have also made more of an effort to paint in the evenings this year, rather than just collapse on the sofa in front of the TV. This has made quite a difference in think, in terms of how many models I have managed to get painted.

1) kill team.

I had a number of kill teams that have been on several to do list over then last few years and I have finally got around to finishing quite a few of these! 

a) Deathwatch - painted a whole kill team roster plus several more models to complete a 2000 point plus army. Some of the army was already pre-painted but still, all Deathwatch models are now painted with just a couple of transfers needing applying before varnishing them.

b) Tyranids - the only kill team not finished. This is because I decided to wait until a proper bespoke team was released, rather than paint a team and then have to repaint it as a bespoke team.

c) Sisters - all done, including some addition models to act as count as sisters to bring them inline with the new rules.

d) Scout Marines - done ready to varnish

e) Chaos - sort of done. The original chaos team was binned and the new legionary team constructed, built and painted.

f) DKoK - these are half finished. One box of 10 is painted and done (by my son) the other 10 are built and primed ready for him to paint, but he's been busy building and painting his Tau recently.

g) Ork Commandos - all done ready for varnish.

In addition I have also built and painted a GSC wyrmblade cult list and a 10k sons Warp coven list, which were not on the cards at the start of the year.

So despite building and painting all these teams, I haven't actually played a single competitive game of kill team this year!

Anyway, I'm counting this as a pass!

2) No new models (with the caveat that when the new guard codex dropped I'd buy at least 60 conscripts, 20 scions and 3 or 4 taurox's.) 

Well, I have actually managed to stick to this one, as long as you take the caveat in to account! So the new guard codex hasn't technical dropped yet, but I have brought a box of models that I use as scions. With the changes to the new codex I will no longer be buying the conscripts but will instead look at the new Field Ordinance Batteries, which i will likely get two of. As for the taurox's I will have to see as I do plan on getting something but I'm not sure they will be taurox's.

I think that this has sto go down as a pass!

3) Paint Marines

Done, done and done, with a majority of them also varnished. All 1000+ points of the Eagle Knights, 500+ points of Dark Guardians, Emperor's Disciples, Brazen Hawks and Stone Dragons have been completed. At this point I have no primaris marine or dreadnoughts left to paint. I have a number of first born marines left to paint that are in storage and I will probably look at getting these out of storage and painting up at some point this year.

So this is definitely a pass!

4) Catachan characters

So I got gifted Marbo and I brought Harker and Straken with the Warhammer+ voucher. I have painted these three models up and actually spent a lot more time on these models than I have spent on pretty much any other.models I own. All three are now painted and varnished.

Another pass!

5) Knights

These two got a very basic but decent tabletop paint job. They are now ready to play after several years sitting on the shelf. 

Another pass!

6) AdMech 

I wasn't sure I would get around to this one, as it was low on the list but having done the two baby Knights I was glad that I was able to get it done. They still need varnishing but they are painted, giving me the option to field a 1000+ point force of AdMech and possibly build towards a bigger force with a knight or two in.

Yet again this is a pass!

7) Update pages

This is something I have been meaning to do for a while. There has been several changes to the lore surrounding my forces and there will be a couple more coming up with the changes to the guard codex and reworking my armies, as well as bringing my son's Tau and his friends Necrons in to the picture. However, I have not actually started on any of this yet! I will try again this year, and with less models to paint up, I might actually get around to it!

This is the only fail on the list.

Along side all of these bits I have also worked on a couple of other projects, such as additional inquisitors and retinue, sorting the Ork kill team terrain, 

So there you have it, six out of seven completed! This is the best result I think I have had for my resolutions list and I'm quite proud of what I have managed to achieve this year. Now I just have to work on next year's list!




No comments:

Post a Comment