Friday 24 July 2020

My hopes for Scions in 9th



Unlike the guard post earlier this list is going to be pretty much all wish listing, as there really isn't much wrong with the Scoins set up at the moment. I say that and now I'm going to have a little moan about all that's wrong with the Scion units right now. 

The main thing for me is the limited units, as you really only have Tempestor primes, command squads, normal squads and then the Taurox Prime. While you can add in other units, such as commissars or auxiliary units, these are not MT units. It is currently very difficult but not impossible, to form a well rounded and capable army from just the MT units. I know that this is very native and follows the lore around the scions but I still would like to see some changes to the army. 

The main changes I would like to see to the current units are limited, the main one being the lack of orders on Primes. It has always seemed odd to me that the primes are supposed to be highly trained and experienced commanders, yet they need to hold a stick in order to issue more than one order. Not only that but it costs more points as well. It should have 2 orders as standard and then be able to gain a third with the rod. Command squads and troop squads are as they should be I think. Taurox primes are pretty much as they should be as well, although I think they maybe a little over costed but nothing I would really complain about. 

So what changes would I make to Scions in 9th? Well, it's the same changes I talked about changing for 8th, when I thought that they might be keeping a separate codex, which I don't really want, especially with the new detachment rules. It's because of these rules that I really want things to change and for us to get some extra units. We have a HQ, Elite and Troop slots but are lacking Fast Attack and Heavy Support, restricting the detachments we can fill and retain our full regimental doctrines.

 To rectify this issue I would like to see the old storm trooper heavy weapons teams reintroduced, I would be happy for them not to be allowed in squads but stay separate withing the heavy support slot. I would also like to see Multi-meltas introduced as an option, I would also be happy to have options limited, maybe just a mortar and missile launcher, the more mobile of the weapon options. These two weapons would give all the options needed to support the scions, with long range anti infantry and anti armour, something the Scions lack. 

The other option, the Fast Attack slot, is a bit more difficult to fill. Sentinels are an option but I'm not are they are very "stormtroppery". Of the other options currently available, nothing jump's out at me either. The one option that did was rough riders, although they would need some adjustments. Scions riding horses doesn't really fit the narrative, bikes fit better but to be honest I think a new units would really be needed. A Rough Rider type unit on bikes would fit this detachment slot but it doesn't really fit the narrative, as the scions are more of a precision strike force rather than a reconnaissance. A new unit of fast moving scions, with some sort of jump pack or powered walker, armed with close assault type weapons, such as flamers or melta weapons and maybe power fists or swords would be a better fit. These don't have to be some kind of power armour, I'm thinking more along the lines of mini dreadknights or penitent engine, like a powered exosuit, giving extra speed and maybe some extra strength rather than extra toughness. Either that or moving the Taurox Prime to FA and placing the Taurox in as Dedicated transport. Placing the Taurox Prime as fast attack would work due to its weapons, where as the normal Taurox as dedicated transport would follow with the guard version. Personally I'd like to see the new fast assault unit. 

The Militarum Tempestus Scions are never going to be a large force but it would be nice if they has access to units in all the slots. Now, I know I haven't talked about flyers, but all flyers are part of the baby, that goes for guard and scions and for anyone else linked to the two. It also works as it is, so no issue there really, apart from I'd like them to bring the vendetta back in to the main stream. I don't really expect much in the way of changes for the MT Scions however, as they are really just supporting units for the guard and that's how I see things continuing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment