Tuesday 9 June 2020

4 sizes to play


So, were getting more and more information released and the latest is about battle sizes. With the new edition we have 4 different sizes, from small to extra large. Going forward I can see a lot of my games being on the smaller side of things, with just the occasional big game. But let's look at the new game sizes shall we?


This incorporates two of the biggest changes to the game, the unveiled so far, the changes to CP's and the new game sizes. By the looks of it my guard armies will now fall in to Onslaught size games while my Militarum Tempestus force will slot into the standard Strike Force size game. However, I can see me playing most of my games at Combat and Incursion sizes. This move, to give specific game sizes could be a good move, provided it is followed up properly, which it seems to be so far. 


Anyone notice something funky? 

44x30 = 3 foot 8 inches by 2 foot 6 inches
44x60 = 3'8" by 5 foot
44x90 = 3'8" by 7 foot 6 inches 

The standard 6x4 seems to have gone or at least it has been superseded. Most of the major tournaments have already said that they will be using the new minimum board sizes and for strike force it really does make quite a difference being a whole foot shorter. Width wise, it probably won't make as much difference, as it's only 4 inches. Do you know what the best thing about all this is though? The new board sizes are all multiples of Kill Team boards! Which mean that either GW like the new boards they made or that Kill Team will be continuing, something backed up by the numerous references to Kill Team in the previews. 


I dislike this bit, suggested game size times always seem widely off to me. I like the idea of the shorter times for the smaller games though, as the local club runs for 4 hours and I don't think I've ever finished a 2000 point game of 40k since I started going there! Playing just a combat patrol or incursion game could well be the way to go and will fit in nicely with my new plans for my marine armies. It will also help with storage of my guard armies, as some of it will probably be boxed up but more on that in another post.


The last bit of info here is the changes to the detachment limits. Gone are the suggestions and in place are maximum numbers. This isn't going to change things for many people as the limits are pretty similar to before, however they are now firm limits. 

So far everything seems to be moving in the right direction and rules seem to be a lot more tight. I'm sure someone will find a way to break them. On the whole, I like what I see so far, hopefully we'll get some faction specific stuff soon, so I can see what's going to happen to my glorious Guard regiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment