Friday 24 July 2015

That new game, what's it called??? Oh yeah, Age of Sigmar

So there is a new kid on the block, Age of Sigmar, and its the current hot topic. Loved and hated in equal measure. Pushing some people to the edge of sanity ( see video of burning army on YouTube ), while also being heralded as the greatest thing since sliced bread by others! But then this is the internet and everything is a case of extremes.

So, what's my thoughts? Well, strangely I don't really care. I have never been one for fantasy, don't know why but I never got in to the fluff side of it and that's a big part of my gaming enjoyment. AoS, as it seems to get called, is significantly different from WHFB in terms of fluff but I think that I have so many 40k projects and models needing attention that AoS just wont get a look-in. Having said that, I do like the models, even if the first thing that they said to me was, "we wanna be Blood Angels". I would love to kit bash some in to BA marines but I have neither the time, money or inclination to really do it, not when I already have all the models I need. I would love to be able to collect a few of these for conversion, as they would make excellent Sanguinary Guard or Veteran squads, Vanguard or Sternguard, or even Death Company at a push.

However, I am hoping to get a game in sometime soon, probably when some others have learnt the rules and can explain them to me, so I don't have to bother learning them myself. I am abit concerned with the who no points thing, but I feel that there are to many early calls being made on this front. We don't yet know the full extent of things for AoS, there are still a lot of books and details yet to be released and digested by the community at large and I'm sure that some of these will go alone way to creating balance within the game. Also, it seems that a lot of people are shouting about certain areas of balance, or rather unbalance, when there is a lot more balance that first appears. Everyone was shouting about how powerful things like Nagash were going to be, but from the web and friends who have played, they don't seem to be nearly as scary as first thought, being taken down by weight of fire from ranks of archers and gunners.

When I do play a game, I will tell you about it, and until then and from further discussions from the local gaming groups, I will reserve my decision on the game, but I defiantly wont be getting any figures, well, not until I've finished my 40k stuff anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment